|Carma Russell (Zimmerman) Leigh*, 1951 – 1972|
|Carma (Zimmerman) Leigh was appointed California State Librarian by Governor Earl Warren on September12, 1951. She was subsequently reappointed State Librarian by four different governors. She served a total of just under twenty-one years and noses out by several months the time that Mabel Gillis spent as State Librarian. However, Mabel retired with a total of forty-seven years of service with the California State Library.Leigh was born in 1904, near McCloud, Oklahoma. She attended local schools and graduated from the Oklahoma College for Women in 1929. Influenced by her college librarian, she attended the School for Librarianship at the University of California, Berkeley in the fall of 1929 and graduated in June 1930.Her first library job was with the Berkeley Public Library in 1930. In 1932 she was appointed the head of the Watsonville Public Library and held this position until she resigned in 1935. She reentered the workforce to become head of the Orange County Public Library in 1938. Four years later in 1942, she was appointed head of the San Bernardino County Public Library. She was actively recruited in 1945 to become the Washington State Librarian and stayed in this position until 1951.It was Leigh’s experience as Washington State Librarian which led to her recruitment to fill the vacancy created when Mabel Gillis retired. While in Washington, she helped develop county library systems and extend library services statewide. Leigh continued her work on developing cooperative library services in California, an area in which she had been heavily involved in Washington. She envisioned a broader scope of library service that would include cooperation between all types of libraries, not just county libraries. In 1952, she was instrumental in encouraging the California Library Association to adopt uniform standards for library services to Californians. In 1957, the California Public Library commission was created to study how California libraries measured up to the standards listed in 1952. Eventually this effort lead to the passage of the California Public Library Services Act (PLSA) in 1957.
Leigh’s interest in improving library services also had a national scope. She was also active in the national campaign which led to the passage of the Library Services Act (LSA) in 1956 and the improved version, the Library Services and Construction Act (LSCA) in 1964. These acts provided federal grants to help improve library services within individual states. The California State Library through its Library Development and Services Bureau was responsible for the distribution and allocation of the resulting federal grants.
Leigh also held national American Library Association committee memberships. She was the second vice president of the American Library Association for 1967 through 1968. The American Association of State Librarians made her its first president in 1957.
She retired in 1972 after a career as California State Librarian that spanned almost twenty-one years. She now lives in San Diego.
* Adapted from articles by Cindy Mediavilla, “Revisiting the Career of Carma Russell(Zimmerman) Leigh, Washington State Librarian, 1945-1951″, ALKI Magazine (December 1997) Volume 13, Number 3, 22-25, and “Carma Leigh,” News Notes of California Libraries, (Spring 1972): 277.
|Ethel S. Crockett, 1972 – 1980|
|Ethel S. Crockett became the nineteenth California State Librarian when she was appointed to the position by Acting Governor Ed Rienecke, on August 14, 1972.Crockett graduated from Vassar College and obtained an M.A. in Librarianship from San Jose State University. She had served as a high school librarian in Redwood City, California and as a children’s librarian at the Corning Memorial Library in New York. Crockett had been with San Jose City College as a General Librarian from 1962 to 1968. In 1968, she became director of library services for the City College of San Francisco and served in this capacity until 1972 when she was appointed as State Librarian.Ethel had been active in professional organizations nationally and at the state level. She participated on the Library Development and Standards Committee of the California Library Association as chairman in 1970. In 1971, the committee drafted The California Library Network: A Master Plan, which was adopted by the California Library Association in December, 1971.During her tenure as State Librarian, Crockett served in 1974–75 as vice-chair of the Council of WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) which was involved in interstate networking and in 1975–76 as president of COSLA (Chief Officers of State Library Agencies).
Library automation developed into a major tool during Crockett’s term as State Librarian. In 1973 CSL began using various online reference databases to assist the reference staff in answering questions. In 1974 the CSL began producing CULP (California Union List of Periodicals) using OCR (optical character recognition) input. The first edition included the holdings of 200 libraries; the third edition in 1977 listed 460 libraries of all kinds.
Also in 1974 the Intersegmental Task Force composed of the State Librarian and librarians of the University of California, and the California State University and Colleges began meeting to discuss intertype networking. Representatives of public, special, private, academic, and community college libraries were added. As a culmination of these meetings, in June 1976, representatives of the publicly funded libraries entered into a joint exercise of powers agreement to establish CLASS (California Library Authority for Systems and Services) to promote resource sharing and provide networking services of all kinds of libraries in California.
In 1977 the State Library began entering some of its cataloging records into the Stanford University BALLOTS (later RLIN) online system. Monthly and annual issues of California State publications were created as a byproduct of this cataloging through the SPIRES system. Crockett also funded a Library Services and Construction Act (LSCA) demonstration project to tie together the cataloging of seven public libraries through the state in PLAN (Public Library Automation Network) in the BALLOTS system.
Continuing in the automation arena the State Legislature and governor approved funding to automate CSL’s Books for the Blind and Physically Handicapped circulation and inventory control system serving 8,000 patrons in Northern California.
Services to the blind and disabled benefited greatly while Crockett was State Librarian. In 1974 eleven and one half positions were added to the staff of the Books for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, and the whole operation moved into a new, larger off-site facility. In 1978 state funds were authorized to support the Southern California Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped operated by the nonprofit Braille Institute of America in Los Angeles and for toll-free telephone services for the patrons of the two regional libraries.
In 1977 the California Library Services Act (CLSA) was passed replace PLSA, to help public libraries and cooperative public library systems provide coordinated reference services and provide reimbursement for interlibrary loans of materials and over the counter loans to nonresident borrowers. CLSA created the California Library Services Board (CLSB), and as State Librarian, Crockett became its executive officer. The CLSB also became the Advisory Council for the Library Services and Construction Act (LSCA) funds that flowed through the State Librarian as grants to local libraries.
Of note, an event of great import took place during Crockett’s tenure, the passage of Proposition 13 in 1978 would eventually cause crippling cuts to many public libraries that relied upon local property tax for support.
Following notification by the University of San Francisco that it would not renew Sutro Library’s twenty-year lease that expired in December 1979, Crockett was instructed by the Legislature to seek alternative sources of support for Sutro. San Francisco State University President Paul Romberg offered the possibility of providing a site on the campus. Sutro Library could be located there if other funds were made available for the construction of the Library. This offer ultimately made possible a new home for Sutro Library.
In October 1979 Ethel Crockett announced her intention to retired in August 1980 to allow sufficient time to search for the new State Librarian. She left office in August 1980 at the age of sixty-five. She currently lives in Marin County.
|Gary E. Strong*, 1980 – 1994|
|Gary E. Strong, the twentieth California State Librarian, was appointed by Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr. upon the retirement of Ethel Crockett as State Librarian. Strong served almost fourteen years at the pleasure of three different governors until his resignation in 1994.Born in Moscow, Idaho in 1945, Gary Strong attended the University of Idaho and received a Bachelor’s degree in1966. He graduated from the University of Michigan with a Master of Library Science degree in 1967. Strong had worked for the University of Idaho Library from 1963 to 1966 during his under graduate years. His early library career began in 1966 in Idaho with the Latah County Free Library. He returned to Michigan to become the Head Librarian of the Markeley Residence Library at the University of Michigan from 1966 to 1967. In 1967, he was appointed director of the Lake Oswego Public Library in Oregon and remained there until 1973. He continued his career in library management in 1973 with an appointment as director of the Everett Public Library in Washington. He was chosen as associate director for services at Washington State Library in 1976, and he later served as deputy state librarian of Washington from 1979 until 1980.Strong began his term as California State Librarian in August 1980. In 1982, he founded the California State Library Foundation. He edited the California State Library Foundation Bulletin. The Bulletin won the H. W. Wilson Periodical Award.At the end of the 1980’s, California’s economy entered a recessionary period in California that was felt by all levels of library service throughout the state. The California State Library’s budget was reduced and staffing levels dropped during various budget cycles. Strong, however still managed to have the State Library provide services without serious cutbacks. During this time, he established the California Research Bureau to provide non-partisan research on California topics to the Legislature and the Governor’s Office.
The 1980’s also saw the Library outgrow its space. The Braille and Talking Book Library, the Library Services Development Bureau, and the California Research Bureau where all housed in off -site offices. Strong saw the need for another building. In 1990 legislation was enacted to authorize a bond measure to finance the new facility. The bonds were sold and the building was planned and designed when the recession hit California in full force. The recession did not deter Strong’s planning input. Economic conditions caused the construction bids to be lower than anticipated, resulting in the addition of more building features. Strong’s enthusiasm with the planning and actual construction was so fervent that he had his own construction safety helmet. The helmet was needed because he toured the building during each construction phase and documented each phase of the construction with his cameras.
While at the California State Library, Strong also served as the chief executive officer of the California Library Services Board; chairperson of the California Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act Board; member of the California Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act Finance Committee; chairperson of the Governor’s State Literacy Collaborative Council; and member of the Family Impact Seminars Advisory Board.
Gary Strong’s honors during his tenure as State Librarian include the Librarian of the Year award from the California Association of Library Trustees and Commissioners (1994); the John Cotton Dana award from the Library Administration and Management Association (1994); the Advancement of Literacy award from the Public Library Association (1994); and the Exceptional Achievement Award from the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (1992). Strong also served on a number of policy panels, including the White House Conference on Libraries (1992), the Government Technology Conference Advisory Board (1993-1994), for which he received the California Governor’s Award for Exceptional Achievement.
Gary Strong resigned as State Librarian in August 1994 to accept the position of director of the Queens Borough Public Library of New York. He started in his new position in September 1994. The Queens Library has the largest circulating library system in the country and has attained a record circulation level of 16 million items and 15 million library visits in the fiscal year that ended June 30, 1998. While at the Queens Library, he has won the 21st Century Librarian Award from Syracuse University, the Charlie Robinson Award from the Public Library Association, and the Humphrey Award from the American Library Association’s International Relations Round Table for his contributions to international librarianship. He served on the New York State Board of Regents Advisory Council for Libraries and the board of directors of the New York Metropolitan Reference and Research Library Agency and was elected vice president of that organization in October 1999. He also served on the International Federation of Library Associations and Institution (IFLA) Committee on Copyright and Other Legal Matters and the board of the section of Services to People with Disabilities. He was co-chief executive officer of the IFLA Boston 2001 NOC and served as the IFLA representative to the United Nations. He is an active member of the International Association of Metropolitan Libraries. He has initiated international cooperation agreements with the National Library of China and the Shanghai Library and created the International Center for Public Librarianship at Queens. He also held the post of adjunct professor at Queens College.
On September 1, 2003, Strong became the seventh university librarian of the University of California at Los Angeles.
Strong has served as a consultant and advisor to the Library of Congress. He is a member of the American Library Association, the California Library Association, the Chinese American Librarians Association, and the Library Administration and Management Association, among other professional organizations and affiliations. He is also a passionate bibliophile and has formed a large collection of fine press books. In addition, he belongs to the Grolier Club of New York and the Zamorano Club of Los Angeles.
Gary E. Strong now resides in Los Angeles. He is married and has two adult children and one grandson.
*Adapted from Gary Strong’s biography on the UCLA Library homepage for Administration and Organization at http://www2.library.ucla.edu/about/2465.cfm.
|Dr. Kevin Starr*, 1994 – 2004|
|Dr. Kevin Starr became the twenty-first State Librarian upon Gary Strong’s resignation. Governor Pete Wilson appointed Starr State Librarian of California on September 3, 1994 and the California State Senate confirmed him on April 6, 1995. Starr was re-appointed to a four- year term as State Librarian by Governor Gray Davis in January 1999. He is the first California State Librarian to hold a Doctor of Philosophy degree.Kevin Starr was born in San Francisco in 1940. Educated locally, he graduated with a B.A. from the University of San Francisco in 1962. He followed this with two years of service as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, stationed with a tank battalion in West Germany. Starr entered Harvard University after his army duty and obtained an M.A. in 1965 and a PhD in 1969. While at Harvard he was the Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Eliot House from 1970 to 1973. He obtained his Master of Library Science from the University of California, Berkeley in 1974. He continued his studies at the Graduate Theological Union, from 1983 to 1984.His career began with teaching at Harvard University, first as an assistant professor, then later as an associate professor of American Literature from 1969 to 1974. In 1973, he became executive aide to Joseph Eliot, the mayor of San Francisco. He was appointed City Librarian of San Francisco and served in this capacity from 1973 to 1976.Dr. Starr’s teaching career resumed following his departure from the San Francisco Public Library. He has taught continually at the university and college level since 1974. He taught political science as a visiting lecturer and Regent’s Lecturer at two University of California campuses, Berkeley and Riverside, from 1976 and 1977. He was a lecturer on Librarianship at Berkeley in 1978. He held a position as a professor of Communication Arts at the University of San Francisco from 1981 to 1989. In 1989, he became a professor of Urban and Regional Planning at the University of Southern California. The University of Southern California bestowed on him in 1998, the title of University Professor. He continues in this professorship.
Dr. Starr has been involved in journalism as a columnist for the San Francisco Examiner from 1977 to 1983. He continues in the field of journalism since 1994 as a contributing editor for the Los Angeles Times.
Starr brought to the office of State librarian a unique combination of library science, literature, journalism, and history. He is a renowned author of California history books. His first book, Americans and the California Dream, 1850-1915, was published in 1973. To date he has authored nine major works and has more planned. He has also contributed chapters, forewords and introductions to dozens of books. His writing has received such honors as a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Gold Medal of the Commonwealth club of California, and the Carey McWilliams Award from the California Studies Association.
Known as a dynamic speaker, Starr maintains a full schedule of speaking events where he represents the California State Library and its programs. Since Dr. Starr became State Librarian, an improved California economy allowed for expansion of the Library’s various programs. He has facilitated the creation of the Library of California of which he is the Chief Executive Officer along with the California Library Services Board. In addition, he served as Chair of the California Sesquicentennial Commission, implemented the California Civil Liberties Public Education Program, and was instrumental in establishing the California Cultural and Historical Endowment. Upon his retirement from the State Library on April 1, 2004, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed him State Librarian Emeritus. In November 2006 he received a National Humanities Medal from the President of the United States.
|Susan Hildreth*, 2004 – 2009|
|State Librarian of California Susan Hildreth, who Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed in July 2004, has a distinguished career as a leader in public libraries.As State Librarian, Hildreth managed an annual budget of over $88 million in state and federal funds. She oversaw the California State Library as it supported California libraries and cultural institutions in providing for the continued growth of the intellectual, technological, cultural and social literacy of California’s diverse populations.Previously, Hildreth was the City Librarian of San Francisco and Deputy City Librarian. While leading the San Francisco Public Library, Hildreth managed an annual operating budget of over $58 million and oversaw San Francisco Public’s $130 million capital improvement program. Prior to her tenure in San Francisco, Hildreth was the planning consultant for the Library Development Services Bureau of the California State Library, the Deputy Director for Support Services for the Sacramento Public Library, the County Librarian for the Auburn-Placer County Library, and the Library Director for the Benicia Public Library. She also worked at the Yolo County Library and began her career at the Edison Township Library in New Jersey.Hildreth graduated cum laude from Syracuse University and holds a Master’s degree in Library Science from the State University of New York at Albany as well as a Master’s degree in Business Administration from Rutgers University.Hildreth resigned in February 2009 to become City Librarian of Seattle Public Library. * Adapted from California State Library homepage athttp://www.library.ca.gov/html/Hildreth_Bio.cfm.|
|Stacey A. Aldrich, 2009–2012|
|Stacey Aldrich was sworn in as State Librarian of California on November 19, 2009. Surrounded by an overflow crowd of friends, family, and colleagues, she took the oath of office in the newly dedicated J.S. Holliday Rare Book Room of the California State Library.Stacey was appointed to the post by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who stated in a press release that “Stacey is truly an expert in the field and California is lucky to have her as the State Librarian.” She had been Acting State Librarian since February 2009, and served as Deputy State Librarian from August 2007 forward. As Acting State Librarian, Stacey ably directed a staff of 155, oversaw a budget of $80 million, and worked with state and local officials on multiple projects, bonds, and initiatives of the State Library. She was instrumental this year in securing California’s participation in Opportunity Online, a major broadband initiative funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that will significantly improve and sustain public access to the Internet through California’s public libraries.Stacey is an impassioned futurist who serves on the Board of Directors of the Association of Professional Futurists. In presentations and workshops here and abroad, she challenges librarians to actively shape the future of libraries by examining trends and technologies, building scenarios for possible future outcomes, then developing strategies to deal with those futures. Named one of Library Journal’s Movers & Shakers in 2003, Stacey is recognized as a national leader who’s shaping the future of the library profession.Before joining the State Library, Stacey served as Assistant Director of the Omaha Public Library from 2005 to 2007; held two positions with the Maryland Department of Education–Branch Chief of Public Libraries and State Networking from 2000 to 2005, and Public Library consultant from 1996 to 1999; and served as Senior Associate at Coates & Jarratt, Inc., a futuring think-tank, in 2000. She was Information Technology Librarian for Hood College Library in Frederick, Maryland, from 1992 to 1996. Stacey earned a Master of Arts in library science and a Bachelor of Arts in Russian language and literature from the University of Pittsburg. She belongs to the American Librarian Association, Public Librarian Association, California Library Association, and Beta Phi.
State Librarian of California Stacey Aldrich resigned in October 2012 to accept the position of deputy secretary for the Office of Commonwealth Libraries of Pennsylvania. Aldrich assumed her new responsibilities in Harrisburg in early November. In many respects, this move to the Keystone State represents a homecoming. She attended the University of Pittsburgh for her Master of Arts and Bachelor of Arts degrees and her parents live in Pennsylvania.
|Gerald Maginnity, 2012–2014|
Prior to the departure of Stacey Aldrich, Maginnity had been chief of the Library Development Services Bureau of the State Library. He joined the State Library in November 2005 with broad experience in a variety of public libraries and cooperative library systems and became the bureau chief in May 2008. Previous work experience in California included coordinator of the Sacramento-based Mountain Valley Library System, associate county librarian in Fresno, and Vallejo branch head for Solano County Library. In addition, he has worked for the Serra Cooperative Library System in Imperial and San Diego Counties and the Lassen County Library. Prior to coming to the Golden State, Maginnity worked for libraries in Canada and Mexico, including the Main Library of the Instituto Tecnológico in Monterrey, Mexico. He received his Master’s Degree from the School of Library and Information Science, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada.Maginnity presided over important and pivotal transitions during his term as Acting State Librarian in an era of increasingly strict budget cuts and physical upheaval. He successfully secured ten million dollars in federal funding federal funding for local assistance programs used to help libraries throughout the state, and oversaw the massive renovation of the Stanley Mosk Library and Courts Building, an endeavor which displaced library holdings to a warehouse in West Sacramento. He is credited with ensuring the process run a seamlessly as possible for patrons. Public services were operated out of the Braille and Talking Book Library and the California History Room located in the annex on 9th and N Streets. He was also heavily involved in planning the new home of the Sutro Library Branch in San Francisco.
|Greg Lucas 2014 – Present|
Mr. Lucas, appointed by Governor Jerry Brown in March 2014, was a senior editor for Capitol Weekly and has written and edited California’s Capitol, a website he created in 2007 that focused on California history and politics. He was Sacramento bureau chief and a Capitol reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle from 1988 to 2007 and covered the Capitol for the Los Angeles Daily Journal from 1985 to 1988. Lucas has been a board member at the Friends of the California State Archives since 2012. He earned a Master of Arts degree in professional writing from the University of Southern California. As State Librarian Lucas plans to focus on advancing public library literacy projects, as well as securing funding for existing and future State Library programs.
|The Historic Library & Courts Building: An Exhibition of Historical Photographs and Contemporary Images by Cathy Kelly|
The Library & Courts Building located at 914 Capitol Mall is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful buildings in State Government. Its entrance lobby is unsurpassed and the building features three murals and a variety of attractive decorative features. On May 24, 1984, the Library & Courts Building was named to the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration is now underway of the fifth floor meeting room and its magnificent rotunda.
The Library & Courts Building opened in 1928 as part of the Capitol Extension Group. It faces a twin structure, Office Building Number 1 (now called the Unruh Building). Designed by the prestigious San Francisco firm of Weeks & Day, both neo-classical structures are located across the street from the State Capitol. A circular drive with a fountain in the middle provides a graceful division between the two office buildings. The five-story exteriors are clad in Sierra white granite quarried by the McGilvrary-Raymond Granite Company in Madera County and granitex architectural terra cotta manufactured by Gladding, McBean and Company of Lincoln, Placer County.
The Foundation commissioned noted architectural photographer Cathy Kelly in 1988 and 2001 to photograph this magnificent edifice. Her photographs are supplemented by historic photographs from the Library’s California History Section.
For further information on the history of this fabulous building see: California State Library Bulletin, Issue Number 69 (Fall 2000 / Winter 2001). Copies of the Bulletin may be obtained purchased from the Foundation for $7.50. Please see Publications List for order information.
|Library & Courts Building, north facade. 2001. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Aerial photograph of the State Capitol and Capitol Extension Group. The building on the right is Office Building No. 1 or the Jesse Unruh Building, and on the left is the Library & Courts Building. Photograph was taken shortly after the completion of the twin buildings in 1928.|
|Library & Courts Building, Cornerstone Laying Ceremony, March 26, 1924.|
|State Capitol with Library & Courts Building under construction. Looking south, southwest. McCurry photograph.|
|Library & Courts Building, 1926 depicting the east and north facades.|
|Library & Courts Building and circle, circa 1930. This view of the north facade was taken shortly after the completion of the landscaping.|
|The north facade features a granite pediment group created by New York sculptor Edward Field Sanford, Jr. Composed of seventeen figures and entitled “California’s Gift to the World,” it was the largest pediment in the country at the time of installation.|
|The sculptor Edward Field Sanford, Jr. inspects the work on his pediment. In this photograph, the artist is inspecting the work of the craftsmen who carried out his design. The central figure, standing a full twelve feet, represents the fully developed California with a sword of justice in one hand and the owl of wisdom in the other..|
|Memorial Entrance Vestibule. The Lobby is dedicated to California veterans who died in World War I. The most dominating feature of the room is the sixteen black Italian marble pillars. The pillars serve no function other than decoration. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Detail of one the decorative urns surmounting the marble pillars. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Detail of bronze torch light standards in the Memorial Vestibule. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Frank Van Sloan murals. The famed San Francisco artist received a contract from the State of California to paint a series of twelve mural panels illustrating the history of warfare from neolithic times to World War I. He completed the murals in April 1929. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Detail of Frank Van Sloan murals. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Grand staircase. Photograph by Ross Steiner©|
|Courtroom. Recognized as one most beautiful courtrooms in the country, it is used by the Third District Court of Appeal, and for six days a year, the California Supreme Court. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|State Librarian’s Office. The office features important California landscape and portrait paintings. Recently, the Library’s Foundation acquired from Marcia and Robin Williams the Maynard Dixon painting called “Allegory.” It is shown above the roll top desk. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|The Anoakia Murals by Maynard Dixon. Located on the second floor corridor, these murals were originally commissioned by Anita Baldwin McClaughry for her mansion in Arcadia, California. The McCaslin family, the owners of the mansion, donated the murals to the Library in 1997. These murals, Dixon believed, dated the start of his true creative life. A bronze statue of Dixon by Gary Smith was purchased through Foundation funds stands in a niche between the paintings. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Ceiling details. The ceilings of the public floors are painted with figures from mythology including this portrait of Medusa. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Gillis Hall, 1929. Named in honor of State Librarian James L. Gillis, this stately room serves as the main reference center for the Library.|
|A Pageant of Tradition. Created by Maynard Dixon in 1928, this immense mural in Gillis Hall measures fourteen feet high by sixty-nine feet in length. For this mural, Dixon selected California’s historical progress and pioneering ambition as his theme. It was Dixon’s largest mural. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Maynard Dixon at work on the mural. Dixon worked from a scaffold. For three and a half months, Dixon labored daily in Gillis Hall finally completing the mural in November 1928.|
|Circulation and Catalog Room, 1929. The room is graced by a highly ornamented ceiling, terrazzo floor, and bronze chandelier.|
|Bronze entrance gate to the Circulation and Catalog Room, 1929.|
|Two elevated bronze statues by Edward Field Sanford, Jr. flank both sides of the Circulation and Catalog Room. The female figure is called Inspiration and the male figure Wisdom. Photographs by Cathy Kelly©|
Library & Courts II Building 900 N Street
|The Library & Courts II Building was created as an annex for both the Library and the Third District Court of Appeal. Outgoing State Librarian Gary E. Strong and incoming State Librarian Dr. Kevin Starr dedicated the building in October 1994. It houses the Braille and Talking Book Library, California History Section and Special Collections, Preservation Office, Information Technology Bureau, California Research Bureau, Technical Services Branch, and Library Development Services. The Court of Appeal occupies the fourth floor.|
|View of east facade from Fragrance Garden. Photograph by Cathy Kelly©|
|Historic Posters of California
The California History Section of the State Library preserves and makes available an immense collection of California-related posters covering a wide variety of subject matter and dates. The following reproductions represent a sampling of the best examples from the collection. Permission to reproduce must be obtained directly from the California History Section, P.O. Box 942837, Sacramento, CA 94237-0001. 916-654-0176.
California State Fair
|Splendid Poultry Show, 1909|
National Orange Show
|Second National Orange Show, 1912|
|Third National Orange Show, 1913|
|Fourth National Orange Show, 1914|
|Seventh National Orange Show, 1917|
Other Fairs and Events
|California Land Show|
|Fifth Annual Tulare County Citrus Fair|
|Los Angeles Fiesta. 1896 and 1897|
|National Education Association Convention, San Francisco. 1911|
|[San Diego] Ground-Breaking Panama-California Exposition. 1911|
|San Diego Exposition. 1915|
|San Diego Exposition. 1916|
|San Francisco Portola Festival. 1909|
|San Francisco. Golden Gate International Exposition. 1940|
|[Yolo] Causeway Celebration. 1916|
|Huntington Lake and the High Sierra|
|Southern Pacific’s New Daylight: Los Angeles – San Francisco|